Facilities and Activities
This is the time and place for you to wind down, relax and spend quality time doing what you enjoy. While you’re here, why not enjoy a few of our other facilities and activities:
- The Chill Zone – “chill” and relax on our viewing deck, enjoying the view of the mountains of the Lowveld and Kruger National Park. Snooker / pool table
- Sparkling swimming pool
- Braai / barbeque
- White peacocks
- Come and meet the “Dudes”, our family of peacocks that roam around the property. Click here to view photos
- Peacock chicks / peachicks – we’ve just had a few new little hatchlings. We’d be happy to show them to you.
- Litchi, avocado, mango and macadamia nut trees, laden with fruit – depending on the time of year, we can pick for customers
- Tree of lights – a new project we’ve just completed, consisting of 1600 lights, similar to the tree at Riverside mall. A real showpiece at night.
- Planes landing and taking off at Kruger Mpumalanga Airport, in the far, far distance. You can’t hear them, but if you are lucky, and sitting on your patio admiring the view, you will see them in the distance.
- Keep a look out for the grey duiker that visits the property from time to time. He’s quite a master at getting through the fence.
- You may also see the shy wild hare that pops up unexpectedly and gallops away at high speed, in leaps and bounds. Not your regular pet shop bunny.
- You will see a wide range of birds in the trees around the property. Listen out for the fish eagles that soar overhead, sunbirds, kingfishers, and the owls and nightjars at night, not to mention countless other bird species.
- If you’re lucky, you may also catch a glimpse of other shy animals that visit us from time to time, including:
- wild tortoises
- monitor lizard
- Lesser Bushbaby (listen for their calls at night)
- Civet cat
Places to see in and around White River:
- Castorbridge shopping center – not your usual “mall”, rather a cosy, selection of boutique, interesting shops and a small 1-screen cinema that screens both popular and more unusual, “intellectual” movies (not your regular Ster Kinekor or Metro). The cinema is a popular place that the local residents in White River enjoy supporting.
- Chocolate shop in Castorbridge shopping center – wow, if you like home-made, hand-crafted chocolates, you’ll love this place. Our favourites are the melted chocolate cups, i.e. cups moulded from chocolate, and filled with melted chocolate. You have to eat up quickly before your chocolate cup itself melts! Delicious!
- Bosch Pottery studio– Ezra Bosch, the well-known potter, is our neighbour – she has a fantastic studio with wonderful works of all kinds – very talented, indeed. Be sure not to miss a visit to her studio.
- Vintage car museum – also in Castorbridge shopping center. Beautiful old cars, real grand old ladies.
- Orange wine-tasting at Castor Bridge
- Silk farm factory shop – between White River and Nelspruit
- Lowveld Botanical Gardens are just short drive away – lovely to relax and have a picnic in a lovely setting
- Various dams nearby, suitable for fishing
Recommended day trips:
- Kruger National Park: go for game drives in the Kruger Park every day as day visitors. Numbi and Malalane Gates are just a short drive away – Numbi gate is around 20-25 minutes’ drive. In busy periods, we’d recommend you book your entry into the park, one or two days before you intend to go. The Park has a limited quota of entrants, and you may be turned away if the quota is reached. You can reserve your entrance at the Tourist Information Office at White River’s Castor Bridge shopping centre.
- Byde River Canyon
- Pilgrim’s Rest
- God’s Window
- Elephant sanctuaries – e.g. Elephant Whispers
- Chimp Eden
- Coffee farm between Hazyview and Sabie – delightful shop with amazing coffee-related souvenirs and items to buy.
- Tree-top tours near Hazyview
- Adventure tours: kayaking, quad-biking, river tubing, abseiling – between Hazyview and Sabie
- …and many more…
Tourist maps of the area are available in the office. We’d also recommend a visit to the Tourist Information Center in White River, at the Castor Bridge shopping center, which is a great source of information on what is available for you to do in the area.